Tallangatta Hospital, main building after moving from Old Tallangatta in 1956

50th Annual Report 1963-1964

Turning the first sod of soil at Bolga Court

Talllangatta Health Service : Historical Equipment


History

In 1910, Dr Patterson of the Friendly Societies Association convened a public meeting for the purpose of establishing a hospital at Tallangatta. The meeting agreed to raise 1050 pounds to erect, equip and furnish the first hospital….work started in 1913 and was completed and opened late in 1914. The total cost of the then ‘Tallangatta Cottage Hospital’ was a little over 1800 pounds.

From these humble beginnings the hospital expanded. In 1916 the second stage of the building was completed, and served the community until 1937, when an additional wing was added to bring the capacity to 26 beds. In 1948 work was commenced on a modern nurses’ home to alleviate the cramped conditions under which resident staff were accommodated. This home was opened in the following year, 1949.

In 1950 a State Parliamentary Works committee recommended that the entire township of Tallangatta be shifted 4 ½ miles (8kms) to the west to allow Hume Reservoir to be expanded. Work on moving the town started in 1954.

Work on the new hospital, now located in the ‘new’ Tallangatta, commenced in July 1956 while the old hospital continued at ‘Old’ Tallangatta. The Foundation Stone was positioned on the 30th June 1957 by Matron Clark and Dr HFC Hallowes.
Tallangatta Hospital was the last of the public utilities to be opened in the new town, on the 26th March 1958 by chairman of the HCC, Dr J Lindell.

Over the years there has been many changes at Tallangatta Hospital, in the 1970’s, District Nursing services commenced and plans were put into place for a Day Care Centre and aged services. The 80’s were a busy decade for the hospital where more emphasis was given to the elderly, the Day Care Centre was opened, a new ambulance centre was built and plans for the new hostel were well under way.

Obstetrics and surgical services were reduced to post natal care only, with 30 beds in the hospital, 10 of those were now Commonwealth funded nursing home beds and several more were being used for respite and nursing home patients. Early 1990’s also seen the commencement of building for the Bolga Court Hostel and in 1994 it was amalgamated with the hospital and finally merged on the 1st July 1997.

In 1997 the hospital commenced its three stage redevelopment which included the upgrading and expansion of the nursing home, the redevelopment of the old nurse’s quarters into a day activity centre and the final stage was the redevelopment of the acute ward. The day activity centre and nursing home were officially opened on the 3rd April 1998.
On the 2nd December 1999 the name of Tallangatta Hospital was officially changed to Tallangatta Health Service as a reflection of the changing roles it played within the community.

The final stage of the redevelopment concluded with the official opening in August 2000. The total cost of all three stages was $3,500,000 with the health service and community providing $700,000 of that funding.

The Tallangatta Health Service continues to be a dynamic and flexible provider of services that meet the changing needs of our rural community.



Old Tallangatta Hospital on the original site still standing today Hospital commerative plaque Tallangatta Hospital main building before recent renovations